250g/9 oz plain flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
110-130ml/3 1/2 - 4 1/2 fl oz milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl. In another bowl, mix together the milk and oil.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture. Slowly mix together the dough by working from the centre and incorporating the flour from the edges of the well to make a smooth soft dough. Knead well for 8-10 minutes, adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
3. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes. Form the dough into 5 balls.
4. Preheat the grill to medium and place a heavy baking sheet on the upper shelf of the grill to heat.
5. Roll the dough balls out quite thinly. Sprinkle over any toppings you wish to add and press them into the dough. Place the naans onto the hot baking sheet and grill for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Brush with butter to serve.